Mental Health Resources (North America)


Emergency: 911

Canadian Suicide Prevention Services (CSPS) – 1833-456-4566 (24/7/365)

First Nations and Inuit Hope For Wellness– 1-855-242-3310 (24/7)

Toronto Distress Centres– 416-408-HELP (4357)

Good2Talk is a 24-hour helpline for postsecondary students that offers free, anonymous, professional counselling, and information and referral services. The helpline (1-866-925-5454)

Canadian Indian Residential Schools Crisis Line– 1800-721-0066
Crisis Text Line (Powered by Kids Help Phone): Text “DESERVE” TO 686868
Crisis Services Canada:
Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention:

United States

Emergency: 911
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1- 800-799-7233
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433)
Crisis Text Line: Text “DESERVE” TO 741-741
Lifeline Crisis Chat (Online live messaging):
Self-Harm Hotline: 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288)
Essential local and community services: 211,
Planned Parenthood Hotline: 1-800-230-PLAN (7526) 
American Association of Poison Control Centers: 1-800-222-1222
National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependency Hope Line: 1-800-622-2255
National Crisis Line – Anorexia and Bulimia: 1-800-233-4357
GLBT Hotline: 1-888-843-4564
TREVOR Crisis Hotline: 1-866-488-7386
AIDS Crisis Line: 1-800-221-7044
Veterans Crisis Line:
TransLifeline: – 877-565-8860
Suicide Prevention Wiki:

Black Mental Health Providers (Edmonton, AB)

Black mental health therapists in Edmonton vetted by Psychology Today.

211- Community and Social Support

Contact 211 to access to an entire network of community, social, health and government services. Your call, text or chat will be answered by a professional 211 Community Resource Specialist who is trained to assess your need and refer you to the most appropriate service or services. 211 is available across Alberta and is offered in over 170 languages over the phone.

Why would I contact 211?

  • I need food, shelter and/or transportation
  • I need financial support to help pay my utility bill, rent and/or damage deposit
  • I need to find mental support
  • I need information on Government programs and phone numbers
  • I don’t know where to go for Legal support
  • I want to volunteer for an organization
  • I want to make a donation of furniture and/or clothing
  • I am concerned about a friend or family member
  • I am looking for services for a client
  • Gain access to thousands of other services